Monday, November 14, 2011

Community as People

By Matt Kilbourn
Creativity + Social Change
University of Connecticut

When you looked tired, we stepped in
   We gave you warmth
   You showered
   You ran laundry

When you were without, we stepped in
   You charged your devices
   You checked e-mails
   You checked the news

When you needed help, we stepped in
   We shared our heat
   We shared our showers
   We shared our laundry

When we need help, you lent your hand
   You helped with yard clean up
   We removed fallen branches
   We drove away the debris

We opened our home, Our home was your home
   Our shared home made you feel human again

We are friends, we are community

- November 2, 2011

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, man! This is so right on for me - that it hits my heart with an arrow! What an experience that storm was recently. I ended up spending two nights in the dark, one with my family, the other by myself. Then every night after that was spent in a warm Hartford apartment with an 82 year old man who'd lost electricity in his home in Bristol and his son. Each day became like a party of sorts - we shared food, laughter, stories, read a poem every morning, and quickly got over any embarrassment or fear of connecting. I received so much support from neighbors, people in coffee shops, enjoying conversations in bars, and was able to provide the right kind of support to my family and friends, especially when my dad went in the hospital towards the end of the electricity outage in our town. What an adventure! I felt truly alive! It was an awakening for us all.
    "We opened our home, our home was your home
    our shared home made you feel human again"
    Amen. What a glorious thing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! The bonding and coming together that occurred as a result of the power outages really truly brought the meaning of community to another level. It gave us space to rely on each other again (whether complete strangers or the best of friends) - what a beautiful thing! Although the outages were disruptive in many ways, I would welcome back the opportunity it presented for community interaction and support.

    ReplyDelete