Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Community as ... Centering

By Richard Kupstis
Creativity + Social Change
University of Connecticut

Any kind of community needs compromise and cooperation. I saw a connection from my own art in this poem ... "Centering".

CENTERING

I make pots
Clay and a spinning wheel
My pots are a community
Of vessels from a common source.
Clay, of proper consistency
Can be spun to:
Plates, saucers, bowels, cups, vases and ewers
Other forms as well.
For this to happen
The clay must be centered.
Moved to the center at equilibrium.
A community of dinnerware can only occur
If clay has been centered first,
Then opened,
Expanded and shaped,
Fired and glazed.
To make a community;
A set of dinnerware.
We live in communities
That also require centering
Through compromise and cooperation.
Will our clay be:
The Arts, Local Business, Technology, Education,
Or something else?
Who(m) will center?
An individual or group.
Who will create equilibrium?
Compromise Cooperate.

3 comments:

  1. Centering is an important aspect to the community. It reminds members that in the heart of a community are the members themselves. and that in centering one's self the needs of the community become apparent, as they are your needs, our needs. and the needs can be manifested in a multitude of ways, arts, technology, education, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this poem. Centering is very clearly an integral part of creation by the potter. I understand the analogy completely. Very clever! The community also has to be centered. Of course, individuality is accounted for in the creation of many types of pottery for the table. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried commenting on my Apple but nothing appeared. I'm trying my wife's PC. This poem shows how your avocation brings pleasure and has political implications. Centering for pottery can be a metaphor for compromise and cooperation in life, as your poem suggests. I suspect that a centered mind allows you to conceive of such constructive metaphors, Thanks

    ReplyDelete