Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Commentary: On We Are the 99 Percent


By Charlene Folston
Creativity + Social Change
University of Connecticut
10 October 2011

After visiting the "We are the 99 Percent" website, I have a new found respect for all of the people that are involved in this great movement. I applaud them for taking a stand on behalf of all of us and demanding that changes need to be made very soon. While reading all of the testimonials i felt the sense of urgency and how people desperately need help for them and their families. I fully support everyone that is occupying Wall Street now. I am also glad that it is a growing movement that continues to spread throughout the country. This is something that is overdue and I do believe that it will bring a positive change. I guess it is because i do not pay very much attention to the news unless it effects me directly, but I never realized that there were so many out there like me that are suffering and struggling to make ends meet. I know that there is something that the government can do to help all of us. They need to step in and make some drastic changes. There are too many in need and they cannot continue to sit back and not take responsibility. That is why I think it is important for as many people to get involved as possible.

This article has also been an eye opener for me personally. I have not realized how often I take the life and the things that I have for granted. I am always focused on the next thing I am getting for myself when I should be trying to help someone that is in need. I never really paid much attention to the jobs crisis because I have a job but I realized that all of the things that people are going through now can just as easily happen to me when i least expect it. Most people cannot save because they are living paycheck to paycheck and I am constantly spending money on frivolous things that I do not need. This site really make you take a look at your own life and think of ways that you can help make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment