Saturday, October 15, 2011

Commentary: On The 99%

By Jen Pradhan
Creativity + Social Change
University of Connecticut
12 October 2011

When I went on to the website for We Are The 99%, I was mesmerized (for lack of a better word) at everything that people had put up about themselves to take a stand. I was very moved and intrigued all at the same time to keep going. I almost felt morbid, but the sad truth is that its so real. I was flipping through the channels last night and Chelsea Lately (10/11/2011),touched upon how the media was focusing in on the young adults that are out there for sex and food rather than on the bigger picture. Why are they focused on the negative and hiding behind what’s really going on? Instead of standing by and supporting and making a change, the newscast picked the most unnecessary thing they could to report on.

What’s truly sad is that there are millions out there who are only going by what the news is telling them. I was one of those people that took the situation at face value, wondering to myself… “why are you complaining since you choose the job and the career you wanted. You made your bed and you have to lay in it.” I wasn’t thinking about all the other factors such as having a family to support, kids to feed, health deteriorating, debts and foreclosures that are going on with these individuals.

Reading and seeing the pictures of each one of the individuals was a reality check. Not everything is merry and not everybody has control of what they are doing… even if they do have a nice paying job or think they are getting  by. One thing I am learning from all this is you think you are ok now but tomorrow you can get into a car accident that can take you from your “comfortable” world (with enough in the bank for a rainy day) that you live in to one that’s going to have you feeling helpless and lost.  It’s depressing.

One thing that astonished me was an article that I came across on facebook. When I read it at first, I was agreeing and telling myself …”oh well, this individual should’ve known better. Its sad, but pick something better. It’s a land of opportunity.” But today I went back to read some of the comments that were left by the people that agree with the article just as I had. And I was shocked and disappointed to revisit the article.

The comment below saddened me the most:
obamas1goodyear: 10/08/11 18:13
A few years ago, I attended an open house at a fairly prestigious, and very expensive, university with my daughter who was evaluating various colleges. One of the programs we attended was a panel discussion featuring four or five of the students who were attending the school. During the student introductions, one girl on the panel proudly announced that she was majoring in Women's Studies. After the program adjourned I asked my daughter what she thought that particular girl was going to do with a degree in Women's Studies. She said, "Probably live with her parents." My guess is that she is one of the Wall Street protestors.
The problem is not student loans. It is what students do with the loans. If you are going to borrow and invest $200,000 in a college education, you better learn something useful. 
It made me wonder if the mother thought of America like we all or once did –“ the land of opportunity.” Its people like the young individual that was going to major in women studies… that once stood up for women’s rights a while ago when no one believed in us (females) to be equals. Its because of individuals who went for what they believed in to make a change that Obamas1goodyear is able to voice her opinion at all.

I am glad I chose to go over this website ... it’s the tragic truth that I believe everyone should hear and know. Because each one of us can relate and should be proud to be part of the 99% and stand up for our rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment