Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Creativity Manifesto

Shavon Y. Roscoe
Creativity + Social Change, University of Connecticut
Waterbury, Connecticut

As a mother:
Methods to get a child (who’s a fussy eater) to eat his/her vegetables instead of the usual “eat your peas or no dessert.” Turn those “peas” into enemy soldiers who must be gobbled up.

As a daughter:
Letting your parents know that they are still needed, and their words of wisdom mean as much to you today as they did when you were a child. Ask for their assistance by reminding them of a similar situation during simpler times.

As a friend:
Being there even when an upset friend protests how much he/she wants to be alone. Suggest a movie or restaurant that your friend has been dying to see or try. Sometimes we just need to take our minds off of what’s bothering us.

As a letter carrier:
Making sure I can communicate with each and every one of my customers on an individual basis. Treating each of my customers uniquely by being sensitive and understanding to their needs will make them more understanding and compassionate to the job I’m trying to perform for them.

Upon discussion, we know that every one of us is creative in some way. In order to do the things I manifest, I will not be able to paint or draw pictures. Instead, I will use my creative edge to get them done in lieu of the usual reactions and responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment