Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Manifesto of Creativity

By Heather Butler
Nonprofit Studies Program, Rhode Island College
Providence, Rhode Island

Creativity, to me, is thinking of new ideas or taking an idea to another level. This is a declaration of my creative method and how I intend to bring creativity to all aspects of my life. I intend to be more aware of my own ability to be creative. Also, I have come to appreciate the simple act of “brainstorming.” In a thoughtful session of brainstorming, no idea should be thought of as unintelligent and no person should be discouraged from expressing a thought. I am positive that many great ideas have their root in what one might have perceived as a simpleminded thought. Whether alone, or in concert with others, I affirm, that I have an obligation to be true to my values and, to be mindful of those of others. However, I will not let that be a hindrance to the creative process.

  1. I will be more creative in my thoughts and in my actions.
  2. I will foster a creative environment with my family. Whether through visual art, music, spoken word, written word or cerebral art (the art of creating new ideas), I will work hard to ensure that those around me are valued for their ideas.
  3. I will work in partnership with my colleagues to create a workplace that ebbs and flows with the creative process as the driving force. No idea will be discriminated against.
  4. I will put aside my prejudices to allow for divergent points of view. I will listen to others and value their opinions.
  5. I will admit that there are potential blocks, perceived or otherwise, to creativity but I will strive to overcome them.
  6. I will not be fearful of speaking out for an idea that I am passionate about. I will take into consideration the thoughts and opinions of others and strive to collaborate.
  7. I will not dismiss the thoughtful input of others.
  8. I will continue to use technology to reach out to others. To communicate thoughts is essential to working together to solve problems and brainstorm new ideas.
  9. I will look to the past to help to create a better future. Not only to avoid repeating mistakes, but to learn from laudable advances, as well.
  10. I will try to expound upon valuable concepts. Giving credit where it is due and striving to pool resources to work toward an improved situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment